Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fishing Under the Bridge

I recently listened to a radio program in which the hosts asked several visitors from third world countries what the most surprising and absurd thing was about America. The majority of the respondents replied that homeless shelters and assisted living centers for the elderly were among the most mind-boggling things that they had seen. People from third world countries could not understand the need for a soup kitchen.

On Sunday, a group of us went down to Haven for Hope, to volunteer in the kitchen and serve lunch. Kathie Love has led this ministry for some time now and started under the Commerce Street bridge across from the emergency SAMM shelter. The venue has recently changed due to the new Haven for Hope facility off of Frio St. We now spend time preparing the meal in Haven’s kitchen and then serving the residents in a Luby’s type serving line.

I stayed in the back during the serving time and let the folks that have not worked with people that are homeless before take the positions at the counter. My place at the fry station had a great view of the left side of the serving line. The residents began lining up at the doors about fifteen minutes prior to serving time. A few minutes later I saw a few of the folks usher up a very young man. This guy was about 18 years old and carried a cane. He was blind. He stood there, in front of the glass paned door with his head down. I could not figure out if perhaps that was just his typical stance or maybe he just kept his head down from a feeling of dejection. Then it dawned on me that perhaps he was praying… My heart had already warmed at the sight of the other guests leading him to the front of the line, and now my heart melted. When the doors were finally opened he stepped up to the lady at the register and handed her his ID with a subtle but noticeable smile. He moved down the line and I lost sight of him. His image is burned in my mind, and I can’t help but think that he has no way of knowing that that downward tilt of his head and soft smile had effected somebody so greatly. I prayed for him at that moment and am still praying for him. We served somewhere around 400 meals.

Where are we that an 18-year-old blind boy must spend his days and nights in a multi-million dollar homeless shelter? Are there really no other solutions? Why do we have homes specifically for the elderly to go when they have aged beyond the point of our own comfort? Should these folks not be in our own homes? We are caring for them and helping them, but is it in a way that takes some of their human dignity from them? I am not saying that these forms of aid and care should be done away with, I even ask you to support them. But please do pray about how we can make our own backyard a better world for its inhabitants. Ask G-d to show us how we can better love our neighbors.

31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' 37Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' 40And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'”
Matthew 25:31-40

To find out more about volunteering for Fishing Under the Bridge, please e-mail Ryan Jacobson.

To find out more about Haven for Hope and service opportunities at this facility, please click here.

4 comments:

  1. good word, my brother. keep up the good work and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryan, I found your blog through Riverside's link. A good word indeed...look forward to reading more.

    blessings,
    Debby Boggs

    ReplyDelete