Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Genesis

Well... So I am brand new to this whole blogging thing. I have read many a blog before, but have not actually ever made my own contribution to the cacophony of the internet's most eloquent voices.

So, I guess the first question is, "who am I?" I am Ryan Jacobson. I started as the Missions Coordinator at Alamo Heights United Methodist and New Heights Community Church roughly a month ago. I come by way of a couple years at USAA and the years previous to that earning a Math degree.

How did I get here? I think that the best way to answer that question is to let my story unfold slowly as I learn the story of the new place that I find myself. The way that the stories of this new community, the people within it, and my story begin to interact with and entwine with each other will be an adventure for me and I hope for many others along the way.

Tomorrow, I embark on the beginning of five weeks of amazing travel. I will be heading to Iganga, Uganda with a crew from Riverside Community Church. The Riverside Community has for several years supported an orphanage in Iganga. Under the leadership of an amazing man named Phil, the orphanage has provided food, shelter, education, and support for hundreds of children. I am honored to continue our relationship with these people and greatly look forward to spending time with our children there. We will be doing a VBS, medical testing and inoculations, and vocational training. Most importantly though, we will spend time loving on hundreds of kids that need it.

Following the two weeks in Iganga, I will return home for a few days and then leave again for Israel. I will be following Pastor Scott Heare as we hike the country from the desert to the Galilee, learning the historical, geographical, and cultural context of the Bible.

I look forward to getting to know everyone in this new community. I look forward to telling you my story, but mostly I look forward to hearing yours.

Check out these links for more info...
http://www.supporthopeafrica.org/
http://www.followtherabbi.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment